Ductless air conditioners offer many benefits over other systems. If you own one, you don’t have to worry about cleaning out your home’s ducts. However, there are things you need to do to maintain a ductless AC system and keep it working as efficiently as possible and to stop it from developing problems. Here is how you can maintain your ductless AC system.
Clean the Filters
The filters on most ductless systems need to be cleaned regularly, even quarterly, in order to prevent damage to the rest of the unit.Here’s how to clean the filter on your ductless mini-split:
- Turn off the system: Before you start, ensure that the system is off so that you don’t’ hurt yourself or it.
- Remove the filters: Open the case for the unit and locate the filter. It runs the length of the mini-split and should easily lift out the top.
- Wash filters:Wash the filters with a bit of dish soap and warm water. Rinse the soap off and allow the filters to dry completely before you place them back in the mini-split.
- Return cover: Don’t forget to put your mini split air conditioner’s cover back on, and to turn it back on.
Unlike an air purifier, the filter in your mini split should not need regular replacement.
Clean the Condenser
Mini-split air conditioning systems have outdoor units that release your home’s warmth outside. In order to keep the condenser working, you need to keep it free from dirt, leaves, and other debris that might accumulate on it.Wipe down the outside of the unit with a damp cloth.
If leaves or other debris has gotten inside the condenser, you’ll need a professional’s help. It can be dangerous to clean the inside of a condenser if you don’t know what you’re doing. You could end up damaging it.
Reduce the Maintenance Your Ductless AC Needs
You can reduce how often you need to clean your ductless air conditioner’s filter if you follow these steps:
- Vacuum: Vacuuming more often, especially around the unit, will minimize the amount of debris the filter can collect.
- Wipe down: If you’re dusting or cleaning near the unit, take a moment to wipe down the outside of the unit too. Doing this on a weekly basis will help keep the filter cleaner.
- Move furniture: When you can, move your furniture to give the system more breathing room. This helps it operate at peak efficiency but also helps prevent dust or pet hair from gathering nearby.
Or, Let The Professionals Do It
You don’t need to do the maintenance for your mini-split air conditioner if you don’t want to. Your HVAC professionals can clean it, change its filter, and perform other maintenance tasks. Professionals can find small problems with your air conditioning system that could become more serious and more costly to repair overtime. Plus, a properly maintained air conditioner will last for longer without needing to be replaced.